Your afternoon reading:
• “I have always found polls put out by campaigns to be suspect and leaked polls even more so.” — Leaked polls in the governor's race — Texas Politics
• “Texas collected 11.6 percent less in sales taxes in December, the ninth year-over-year decline in a row.” — State sales tax revenue plunge continues — Austin American-Statesman
• “Two tidbits floating around out there on Texas' U.S. Senate race. That is, the race for the seat that is currently occupied by a three-term veteran who has declined several times to give it up.” — More drama around a Senate race that doesn't even exist yet — Trail Blazers
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.
• “The rate would have been higher if more people had been looking for work instead of leaving the labor force because they can’t find jobs” — U.S. loses more jobs, unemployment still 10% — Associated Press
• “Former Bryan Planned Parenthood director Abby Johnson’s abrupt change from pro-choice activist to pro-life spokesperson turned her into a talk show sensation. But is her story true?” — The Convert — Texas Monthly
New in The Texas Tribune:
• “These stories are the more extreme examples of the struggling rural health care system, but they are very real.” — Guest Column: Save Rural Health Care Now — The Texas Tribune
• Fifteen, as you'll see in our newly updated Election 2010 database, which now includes the 193 Libertarians arrayed from top to bottom on this year's ballot. — 2010: How Many Candidates Filed for Governor? — The Texas Tribune
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.