San Antonio’s mayor joined several dozen people who said they wanted to honor the 51 migrants who died Monday on the city’s southwest side.
Migrant Tragedy in San Antonio
Fifty-three people died after being trapped in a sweltering tractor-trailer found near Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio in late June 2022. The victims were migrants from Mexico and Central America. Cross-border smuggling and human trafficking have been longstanding problems along the U.S.-Mexico border. Follow The Texas Tribune as details emerge about this tragedy.
Greg Abbott blames Joe Biden for migrant deaths, but the governor’s own border security efforts have fallen short
To immigration experts, the astounding loss of life illustrates just how difficult it is to stem migration into the country, even as Abbott has spent the last year pouring billions of state dollars into securing the border.
3 men in custody after deaths of 51 people found in San Antonio truck
The victims included migrants from Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. Most were men; five were minors.
At least 50 people found dead in abandoned 18-wheeler in San Antonio
The authorities said the tragedy appeared to be the deadliest migrant-smuggling operation in memory. Sixteen people were taken to hospitals.
Death is a constant risk for undocumented migrants entering Texas
In 1987, 2003 and 2017, groups of migrants died of heat and dehydration in Texas after being trapped in stifling containers. Hundreds more die alone or in smaller groups as desperation drives them to take fatal risks.



