Skip to main content
The Texas Tribune-ProPublica Investigative Unit

A shut-off switch was supposed to prevent 99% of generator-related deaths. It failed a family of three.

The generator industry has touted automatic shut-off switches as a lifesaving fix for carbon monoxide poisoning. But the voluntary standard falls short of what federal regulators say is necessary to eliminate deaths.

By Perla Trevizo, The Texas Tribune and ProPublica, and Mike Hixenbaugh, NBC News
An automatic shut-off switch on a 6,250-watt Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder generator was not enough to prevent the carbon monoxide poisoning of a family of three.
A police report photo shows the position of a generator with the exhaust pointed toward the back door of Demetrice Johnson’s home.

Texans need truth. Help us report it.

Support independent Texas news

Become a member. Join today.

Donate now

Explore related story topics

Energy Environment Carbon monoxide