Skip to main content
Texas 2022 Elections

Analysis: The 3% of Texans deciding who governs the other 97%

Most Texas voters skip the primary elections, leaving many of the decisions about who serves in office to a relatively small group of Texas — voters who have more clout as a result.

Early voting for the primaries opened on Feb. 14, 2022. Bodhi Goodwin, 4, sits with Ethan Goodwin, 41, outside the Austin City Hall polling location.

Texans need truth. Help us report it.

Support independent Texas news

Become a member. Join today.

Donate now

Explore related story topics

Politics State government