For this final survey of political and governmental insiders before the general election, we asked about the races on our Hot List, and rather than list them for you, we’ll just refer you to the charts. But notice the tie in HD-23 and “don’t knows” in the 30 percent to 40 percent ranges in some other races. Certainty is a relative thing.
We collected verbatim comments along the way and a full set of those is attached. Here’s a sampling:
Who will win the race in CD-23?
• "This is a district where POTUS is upside down by 30 points. However, the GOP has once again failed to do outreach to Latino voters. And that's No Bueno."
• "Stupid move by NRCC to have Gov. Perry front for Hurd. Perry moves nobody, except negatively."
• "The Democrats need to do some real soul-searching if Will Hurd manages to beat the incumbent, Pete Gallego."
• "Two reasons why Gallego wins. 1 Corvalan takes votes from Hurd, and 2. Gallego works the district, he is in front of the constituency.”
• "Pete has a unique quality to attract crossover voters since they know the man."
Who will win the race in SD-10?
• "There are too many angry republicans voting in that county and they'll elect one of their own.”
• "A whole lotta shaking' going on here, this will be the one to watch...."
• "Republican swing at end will benefit Burton."
• "Anyone who has been anointed by Sen. Cruz in Texas this cycle has won. Konni Burton will continue that streak."
Who will win the race in HD-23?
• "The trial lawyers will lose this one, by a close margin.”
• "Right time, wrong candidate.”
• "The D's hold this seat"
Who will win the race in HD-43?
• "Everybody loves Raymond and J.M.”
• "Pepito wins! Pepito wins! Again.”
• "Lozano could be in trouble depending on the Valley turn out"
Who will win the race in HD-50?
• "It's Austin. She'll win.”
• "I'm calling a huge upset here! VanDeWalle has done 30,000 pieces of mail, over 10,000 calls, and radio with just $40,000."
Who will win the race in HD-94?
• "As a republican I hope Tinderholt does not win. He is a great example of why we should eliminate straight ticket voting in this state.”
• "The tinderbox will explode before midnight on Election Day"
• "Wish Cole could win this one, but it's crazy Tarrant County. And Tinderholt will find a Metroplex cadre ready to take him in."
Who will win the race in HD-105?
• "Not sure anyone works harder than Rodney.”
• "Anderson knocked off Linda Harper-Brown so he had better seal the deal by holding the seat for the Rs."
• "It's tight, but Anderson will pull it off."
Who will win the race in HD-107?
• "..oops, take that back about Rodney. Not sure anyone works harder than Sheets.”
• "This will be the last chance the Ds have to take this seat. Sheets wins: 53-47"
• "My upset pick"
Who will win the race in HD-108?
• "Highland Park? Who cares. Can we trade these two, Dan Branch and a player to be named later for someone else?”
• "Soon D but not yet"
• "With endorsements ranging from KBH to Giuliani, and Bob Rowling fundraisers, how can Meyer lose this one?"
Who will win the race in HD-113?
• "Working hard ... one of the few toss up districts"
Who will win the race in HD-115?
• "Practicing his seconding speech for Turner."
Who will win the race in HD-117?
• "He's too decent a guy to lose that race.”
• "The odds are with Cortez."
Who will win the race in HD-144?
• "D district"
Who will win the race in HD-149?
• "Republicans are smart to pick an Asian candidate. But, they need to put more work into that district."
Our thanks to this week’s participants: Brandon Aghamalian, Brandon Alderete, Clyde Alexander, George Allen, Jay Arnold, Tom Banning, Dave Beckwith, Andrew Biar, Tom Blanton, Chris Britton, David Cabrales, Raif Calvert, Lydia Camarillo, Kerry Cammack, Thure Cannon, Snapper Carr, William Chapman, Elna Christopher, Kevin Cooper, Beth Cubriel, Randy Cubriel, Curtis Culwell, Denise Davis, June Deadrick, Nora Del Bosque, Glenn Deshields, Holly DeShields, Tom Duffy, David Dunn, Richard Dyer, John Esparza, Wil Galloway, Norman Garza, Dominic Giarratani, Bruce Gibson, Stephanie Gibson, Eric Glenn, Kinnan Golemon, John Greytok, Clint Hackney, Wayne Hamilton, Bill Hammond, Ken Hodges, Steve Holzheauser, Deborah Ingersoll, Jason Johnson, Mark Jones, Robert Jones, Richard Khouri, Tom Kleinworth, Dale Laine, Nick Lampson, James LeBas, Luke Legate, Leslie Lemon, Ruben Longoria, Homero Lucero, Vilma Luna, Matt Mackowiak, Steve Minick, Bee Moorhead, Mike Moses, Keir Murray, Keats Norfleet, Pat Nugent, Todd Olsen, Nef Partida, Gardner Pate, Jerry Philips, Tom Phillips, Wayne Pierce, Allen Place, Gary Polland, Patrick Reinhart, David Reynolds, Carl Richie, Grant Ruckel, Luis Saenz, Andy Sansom, Jim Sartwelle, Barbara Schlief, Robert Scott, Ben Sebree, Christopher Shields, Jason Skaggs, Ed Small, Martha Smiley, Leonard Spearman, Dennis Speight, Tom Spilman, Jason Stanford, Bob Strauser, Colin Strother, Michael Quinn Sullivan, Sherry Sylvester, Gerard Torres, Trey Trainor, Vicki Truitt, Corbin Van Arsdale, Ware Wendell, Ken Whalen, David White, Darren Whitehurst, Seth Winick, Peck Young, Angelo Zottarelli.