This week, we picked up where we left off last week, asking about ten of the hot primary races involving incumbents in the Texas House. There weren't many comments this time, but there's a whole lotta forecasting going on.
The insiders have several incumbents winning contested primaries, including David Simpson, R-Longview; Mike "Tuffy" Hamilton, R-Mauriceville; J.M. Lozano, R-Kingsville; Charles "Doc" Anderson, R-Waco; Jim Landtroop, R-Plainview; Barbara Nash, R-Arlington; Borris Miles, D-Houston; and Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball.
And they've got some incumbents on the losing side in their prognostications: Wayne Christian, R-Center; James White, R-Hillister; and Marva Beck, R-Centerville.
We asked for general comments, and received just a few:
• "Great opportunity to get rid of these incumbent crazies who are ruining the Republican Party."
• "Wayne Christian is insufferable, but almost impossible to beat. Tuffy will roll big time because SE Texas is still SE Texas."
• "The uncertainty caused by redistricting, a presidential race that is likely to be highly divisive for the country, continuing concerns about the economy, and an overall discontent with elected officeholders will likely lead to some major surprises for the conventional wisdom of the lobby in some of these races."
• "The most conservative will win because Texans are weary of debt and abusive spending."
• "If ifs and buts were beer and nuts we'd have more nuts than beer in this primary."
• "You forgot to include a 'none of the above' option in HD-146. Between Al Edwards and Borris Miles, I'll take an empty chair."
Our thanks to this week's participants: Jason Sabo, Luis Saenz, Mark Sanders, Andy Sansom, Jim Sartwelle, Stan Schlueter, Bruce Scott, Steve Scurlock, Christopher Shields, Dee Simpson, Ed Small, Todd Smith, Dennis Speight, Tom Spilman, Steve Stagner, Jason Stanford, Keith Strama, Bob Strauser, Colin Strother, Charles Stuart, Michael Quinn Sullivan, Sherry Sylvester, Jay Thompson, Trent Townsend, Trey Trainor, Ware Wendell, Ken Whalen, Darren Whitehurst, Ellen Williams, Seth Winick, Alex Winslow, Lee Woods, Peck Young, Angelo Zottarelli, Gene Acuna, Cathie Adams, Brandon Aghamalian, Jenny Aghamalian, Clyde Alexander, George Allen, Doc Arnold, Jay Arnold, Charles Bailey, Tom Banning, Rebecca Bernhardt, Andrew Biar, Allen Blakemore, Tom Blanton, Hugh Brady, Steve Bresnen, Chris Britton, Kerry Cammack, Thure Cannon, Snapper Carr, Corbin Casteel, William Chapman, Elna Christopher, Rick Cofer, John Colyandro, Harold Cook, Randy Cubriel, Hector De Leon, June Deadrick, David Dunn, Jeff Eller, Jack Erskine, Alan Erwin, Jon Fisher, Wil Galloway, Norman Garza, Dominic Giarratani, Bruce Gibson, Eric Glenn, Daniel Gonzalez, John Greytok, Clint Hackney, Wayne Hamilton, Bill Hammond, Sandy Haverlah, Ken Hodges, Steve Holzheauser, Shanna Igo, Deborah Ingersoll, Jason Johnson, Mark Jones, Walt Jordan, Russ Keane, Robert Kepple, Richard Khouri, Tom Kleinworth, Ramey Ko, Pete Laney, James LeBas, Luke Legate, Richard Levy, Ruben Longoria, Homero Lucero, Vilma Luna, Matt Mackowiak, Luke Marchant, Matt Matthews, Bryan Mayes, Dan McClung, Parker McCollough, Mike McKinney, Robert Miller, Bee Moorhead, Craig Murphy, Keir Murray, Pat Nugent, Nef Partida, Gardner Pate, Bill Pewitt, Jerry Philips, Tom Phillips, Wayne Pierce, Royce Poinsett, Kraege Polan, Jay Propes, Karen Reagan, Tim Reeves, Tara Reilly-Mica, Jeff Rotkoff.
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.