New in The Texas Tribune:
• Republican Says Straus Should Explain Redistricting Tactics: "Speaker Joe Straus defended the House's redistricting work and said they'll continue their legal fight after a second Republican — Bill Zedler of Arlington — joined Democratic inquiries about how Straus' staff handled those political maps in 2011."
• Third-Party Ad Attacks CD-23 Candidate's Third-Party Support: "The Congressional Leadership Fund's new spot attacks state Rep. Pete Gallego, D-Alpine, for his support from environmental groups that, according to the CLF, have a 'job-killing agenda.' Gallego is challenging U.S. Rep. Francisco "Quico" Canseco, R-San Antonio, in CD-23."
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.
• Judge in Anderson Inquiry: Testimony Will Be Public: "The judge presiding over the court of inquiry of Williamson County State District Judge Ken Anderson denied a request Tuesday to allow Anderson's lawyer to depose Michael Morton's lawyers before a Dec. 10 public hearing."
• Rick Perry to visit Happy Valley with Pennsylvania Senate hopeful Tom Smith (Houston Chronicle): "He’s not the quarterback, but Rick Perry is still on the team, and he’s proving to his party that he can be a key player. … On Saturday, Perry will travel to State College, Pennsylvania, also known as 'Happy Valley' and the home of Penn State University, for a campaign event at the Central Region Victory Center. The event will be hosted by the Centre County Republican Party. Perry will be joined by Tom Smith, the Pennsylvania Republican candidate for Senate. Smith is running a surprisingly strong campaign against Democratic incumbent."
• Business leaders not budging on school accountability (Austin American-Statesman): "Texas business leaders on Tuesday reiterated their adamant opposition to major changes to the state’s accountability and assessment system in the next legislative session."
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.