- James endorses Dewhurst in Texas US Senate race (The Associated Press): "Ex-NFL running back and ESPN announcer Craig James has endorsed former opponent David Dewhurst for the Republican nomination for a vacant U.S. Senate seat. James made the announcement Thursday at the Dallas Republican Party headquarters."
- Texas Senate finalists Cruz, Dewhurst get their 7 minutes of Fox News fame (The Dallas Morning News): "How much of a true 'outsider' is Ted Cruz? How moderate is David Dewhurst? And is his money going to buy the Texas Senate race? Two days after Cruz and Dewhurst survived an initial GOP vote in the U.S. Senate primary, they appeared back to back on the Fox News cable channel's 'Happening Now' program late Thursday morning. … Cruz cast himself as the 'strong conservative' and fighter who'll provide an antidote to overspending by 'career politicians in both parties.' Dewhurst, a three-term lieutenant governor, denied he's an insider, stressing the position is part-time. He contrasted himself to Cruz, noting he's 'a lifelong, outsider, conservative businessman.'"
- Campbell won't take TLR money in senate race against Wentworth (The Dallas Morning News): "Republican Donna Campbell, opposing Sen. Jeff Wentworth in the July 31 runoff election in Senate District 25, has decided not to accept campaign contributions from Houston-based Texans for Lawsuit Reform, one of the biggest donors in GOP primary races this year. Jon Oliver, campaign spokesman for Campbell, said she decided not to accept money from any PACs as part of her grass roots campaign, according to Quorum Report. Senate District 25 runs from north San Antonio to south of Austin."
- State Sen. Wendy Davis endorses state Rep. Marc Veasey in 33rd Congressional District runoff race (Fort Worth Star-Telegram): "State Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, today threw her support behind state Rep. Marc Veasey in the runoff race for the 33rd Congressional District. Veasey faces former state Rep. Domingo Garcia of Dallas in the Democratic primary runoff election on July 31."
New in The Texas Tribune:
- Interactive: Public Agencies With Access to Employment Data: Nearly 100 local government entities in Texas have online access to a database with Texans’ employment information. This interactive shows which entities access the database — and how often.
- Video: The Texas Tribune Weekend Insider, May 31, 2012: In this week's Insider, reporters Jay Root and Aman Batheja consider the winners and losers of Tuesday night's primary, who's headed to a runoff, who's likely to pull out a win in the U.S. Senate race and whether endorsements matter.
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.