New in The Texas Tribune:
- Dewhurst and Cruz Accuse Each Other of Lying in New Ads: "Both Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and former Texas Solicitor General Ted Cruz have released new campaign ads this week accusing the other of lying about Cruz's work as an appellate lawyer for a Chinese tire-maker against an American businessman."
Cruz's radio ad:
- Updated Interactive: Compare Texas Universities by Graduation Rate: Texas higher education officials released the state's second annual higher education almanac on Tuesday — including records on part-time students — and we've added the latest year of data to our interactive graphic. We've also made it possible for you to share links associated with specific visualizations.
- TWIA Board Approves Premium Rate Hike: "The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association's board of directors approved a 5 percent premium rate increase Tuesday and is still considering a proposal with staggered premium rates."
- George W. Bush: ‘I’m for Mitt Romney’ (ABC News): "Mitt Romney has the support of George W. Bush. 'I’m for Mitt Romney,' Bush told ABC News this morning as the doors of an elevator closed on him, after he gave a speech on human rights a block from his old home — the White House."
- Kay Bailey Hutchison officially endorses Romney (Houston Chronicle): "Retiring U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison announced Tuesday that she is officially and 'enthusiastically' endorsing presumed GOP nominee Mitt Romney for president. The Senator has hinted at backing the former Massachusetts governor since early this year, but had not officially endorsed the candidate. In an interview with CNN, Hutchison cited Romney’s business experience as a key to revamping the dragging economy."
- State Rep. Veronica Gonzales to become VP at UTPA (Rio Grande Guardian): "State Rep. Veronica Gonzales is to become vice president for university advancement at the University of Texas-Pan American. 'I am very excited about this appointment. It will allow me to give back to my community,' Gonzales told the Guardian. … Gov. Rick Perry could call a special election for the House District 41 seat Gonzales is vacating. If he does, the special election could be held in November, around the same time as the general election. Alternatively, Perry could leave the seat vacant until the general election is held."