- Hutchison talks Romney, War on Women (San Antonio Express-News): "Retiring U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison spoke to an audience of about 300 in downtown Austin Thursday, where she expressed concern for the national economy and touched on a few national and state issues that have been in the spotlight. … Hutchison, who is the first women to represent Texas in the U.S. Senate, downplayed the accusations that the GOP has a 'War on Women.' 'I think we are getting into politics of the presidential election,' Hutchison said. 'Of course Republicans have embraced women. We have women governors and women senators and the issues women care about, education and jobs, are the issues that we are trying to address. I think we should be talking about those issues rather than throwing out rhetoric and slogans that are clearly political in nature.'"
- Barbara Bush, in defense of Ann Romney, reminds everyone: 'Raising George Walker was not easy' (The Dallas Morning News): "Former first lady Barbara Bush came to the defense of prospective first lady — and fellow stay-at-home mom — Ann Romney on Thursday by pointing out the challenges of raising children. And Bush, always one to speak her mind, reminded everyone that even future presidents can be difficult to handle in their younger years. 'Five boys is a handful, trust me,' she said, referring to Romney's now grown-up children. 'Raising George Walker was not easy.'"
- Texas Sen. Wendy Davis: Run for Komen (Fort Worth Star-Telegram): "State Sen. Wendy Davis is among those urging people to participate in the upcoming Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure. She and others, including Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, are asking Texans to put aside recent controversies over family planning and funding for PP and focus on the event that could raise money to save lives in North Texas. 'We have the opportunity to do what is right for women's health screenings and the battle against breast cancer,' Davis, D-Fort Worth, said in a statement."
New in The Texas Tribune:
- Cruz Raises $1.31 Million in First Quarter: "Former state Solicitor General Ted Cruz announced raising $1.31 million in the first quarter of 2012. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst raised $1.66 million in the same period."
- Perry Appoints Buddy Garcia to Railroad Commission: "Former Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Commissioner Buddy Garcia will fill a seat on the Railroad Commission that was vacated by Elizabeth Ames Jones, who is now a candidate for state Senate."
- Data App: Texas Reservoir Daily Water Level Tracker: "The historic Texas drought caused statewide worries over potential water shortages when reservoir levels fell dramatically. Our interactive data app allows you to check the current status of the state's reservoirs. And you can keep regular watch on the reservoir levels in your area with this app, which will be updated daily."
- Professors at Rice, UT-Dallas Among Top Earners at Texas Schools: "The Chronicle of Higher Education has compiled data on average salaries for professors on campuses across the country. How do Texas colleges and universities stack up?"