As is custom around the Christmas holidays, Gov. Rick Perry announced a list of pardons today. Here's the list:
- Maria Isabel Colmenares-Rodriguez, 58, of Pembroke Pines, Fla., was convicted of shoplifting in 1974 at the age of 21. She was sentenced to pay a $50 fine.
- Tommie Emerson Elder, 57, of Houston, was convicted of burglary of a motor vehicle in 1976 at the age of 22. He was sentenced to three years in jail, which was probated for three years.
- Beverly Troupe Enoch, 33, of Houston, was convicted of assault with bodily injury in 1996 at the age of 18. She was sentenced to 20 days in jail, and paid a $100 fine.
- Marilyn Jean Hensley, 73, of Lewisville, was convicted of theft by check between $20 and $200 in 1982 at the age of 44. She was sentenced to 12 months in jail, which was probated for 12 months, and paid a $50 fine.
- Shelanda Renee Jackson, 42, of Houston, was convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon in 1988 at the age of 18. She was sentenced to three days in jail, and paid a $500 fine.
- Annup Raj Joshi, 39, of Tallahassee, Fla., was convicted of theft of property between $50 and $500 in 1997 at the age of 25. He was sentenced to six months in jail, which was probated for two years, and paid a $500 fine.
- Michael Curtis Owings, 67, of Bay St. Louis, Miss., was convicted of burglary of a coin-operated machine and breaking and entering a coin-operated machine in 1964 at the age of 20. He was sentenced to two years in prison.
- Cheri Hope Williams, 47 of College Station, was convicted of shoplifting in 1983 at the age of 19. She was sentenced to 30 days in jail, which was probated for 180 days, and paid a $300 fine.
Perry can only grant a pardon if the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles recommends it. Last year during the holiday season Perry also granted pardons for eight Texans, who were convicted of relatively minor crimes. Since 2001, he has granted a total of only about 190 pardons for crimes ranging from rape and murder to marijuana possession and passing bad checks.
Click here to search our database of Perry's previous pardons.