THE BIG CONVERSATION:
The two challengers in the speaker's race made it clear Thursday: They're playing for the same team.
Appearing together at an event held by the Tarrant County Republican Assembly and promoted by local Tea Party groups, the two conservative Republicans, Warren Chisum of Pampa and Ken Paxton on McKinney, said they were united in their effort to defeat Straus, a moderate, for the House's top post, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
- Tom DeLay's defense team rested Thursday in the money-laundering trial of the former U.S. House majority leader, who didn't take the stand. Closing arguments will begin Monday.
- Gov. Rick Perry said in an interview with MSNBC on Thursday that he'd consider sending U.S. troops into Mexico to help fight drug cartel violence. "Obviously, Mexico has to approve any type of assistance that we can give them. But the fact of the matter is these [drug gangs] are people who are highly motivated for money, they are vicious, they are armed to the teeth. And I want to see them defeated," he said.
- Rep. Charlie Gonzalez of San Antonio has been elected to lead Latino Democrats in the U.S. House next year
- Among the recommendations noted in Sunset Advisory Commission reports issued Thursday: beefing up penalties to protect the environment and replacing the Railroad Commission.
"There’s certainly no love lost between those two men." — University of Texas professor Bruce Buchanan on the longtime rivalry between Gov. Rick Perry and his gubernatorial predecessor, George W. Bush. Rifts between the two have again widened since both embarked on national book tours, as the Tribune's Elise Hu reports today.
- Analysis: Perry's 'states' rights' battle cry evokes history that could damage his message, The Dallas Morning News
- Politics, Demographics Cost Waco Area Its Clout, The Texas Tribune
- Dallas ISD adopts anti-bullying policy that includes protections for gay students, The Dallas Morning News
- Adult Diaper Vendors Fight Competitive Bid, The Texas Tribune
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.