Updated, March 5, 2014, 3 p.m.:ย
The State Bar of Texas has opened an investigation into Charles Sebesta, the former Burleson County District Attorney who prosecuted death row exoneree Anthony Graves.
The organization that oversees lawyers is investigating alleged professional misconduct by Sebesta, which, if proven, could result in his disbarment.ย The investigation was prompted by a complaint that Graves filed in January.ย Sebesta will have 30 days to file a response to the complaint.
“It sets a precedent for other state prosecutors that they have to act ethically,” said Ramota Otulana, a clerk at the law firm that represents Graves.
Graves spent 18 years behind bars โ 12 of them on death row, where he twice neared execution โ before the U.S. 5th Circuit of Appeals overturned his conviction in 2006, ruling thatย Sebesta had used false testimony and withheld favorable evidence in the case.
Sebesta, 73, could not immediately be reached for comment. But on his website,ย he defends his actions and points to theย State Bar’s dismissal of a previous grievance over the case. According to his website, Sebesta was named Prosecutor of the Year in 1999 by the State Bar.
State Bar officials have said the previous complaint was dismissed because the statute of limitations on the alleged violations had expired.ย In 2013,ย lawmakers approvedย Senate Bill 825, which changed the statute of limitations, allowing a wrongfully imprisoned person to file a grievance up to four years after their release from prison in cases of alleged prosecutorial misconduct. Previously, the four-year statute began on the date the misconduct was discovered.
State Sens. Rodney Ellis and John Whitmire, and state Rep. Senfronia Thompson, all Houston Democrats, joined Graves in calling for accountability for Sebestaย at a Wednesday press conference.
โIโm asking prosecutors to cooperate with the highest of integrity,โ Graves told reporters in January. “It took me 18 and a half years to get back home. Two execution dates. All because a man abused his position.”
Original story:
HOUSTON โ Former death row inmate Anthony Graves, who who spent 18 years behind bars before being exonerated, announced Monday that he is taking action against the man who prosecuted him, alleging prosecutorial misconduct.
โWeโre here today, Martin Luther King Day, seeking justice for me and my family and the citizens of this state,โย Graves told aย crowd at Texas Southern University while announcing that he would file a grievance againstย former Burleson County District Attorney Charles Sebesta.ย
Graves spent 12 of his 18 years in prison on death row โ where he twice neared execution. Graves had been convicted of killing a Somerville family of six, even though another man, Robert Carter, confessed that he was the sole killer.ย Both men were sentenced to death.ย Then, in 2006, the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Graves’ conviction, ruling that Sebesta had used false testimony and withheld Carter’s confession from the defense.
โIโm asking prosecutors to cooperate with the highest of integrity,โ Graves said. “It took me 18 and a half years to get back home. Two execution dates. All because a man abused his position.”
Robert Bennett, Gravesโ attorney, said Graves could elect to pursue criminal charges against Sebesta in addition to filing a grievance with the State Bar of Texas. Sebesta could not immediately be reached for comment, but he has denied that he withheld evidence in the case.ย On his website, Sebesta defends his actions and points to the State Bar’s dismissal of a previous grievance over the case.
State Sens. John Whitmire and Rodney Ellis and Rep. Senfronia Thompson, all Houston Democrats, joined Graves at Monday’s news conference. Supporting Graves’ pursuit of a grievance, they called on the State Bar to provide justice for Graves.
โIt doesnโt hurt to have some transparency,โ Thompson said. โNo one is above the law.โ
In 2013, Whitmire authored Senate Bill 825, which changed the statute of limitations for a wrongfully imprisoned person to file a grievance in cases of alleged prosecutorial misconduct. The new law allows Graves to take action against Sebesta up to four years after the date of Gravesโ release from prison. Previously, the four-year statute began on the date the misconduct was discovered.
Whitmire said that while district attorneys will always be needed, โthe message today is, weโre watching them.โ
Graves was released Oct. 27, 2010, which meant that under SB 825 he is eligible to file a grievance through Oct. 27 of this year. At the conclusion of Monday’s news conference, using an aideโs iPad, he submitted his grievance electronically.
โItโs a great day to be alive,โ he said.



