Tribpedia: Housing And Community Affairs

The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) is the state agency responsible for affordable housing, community development and community assistance programs. It also regulates the state's manufactured housing industry. It was established in 1991.

TDHCA administers funds in excess of $500 million each year. The majority of the funds come from mortgage revenue bond financing, home refinancing and federal grants and tax credits.

The policy-making body of the agency is a seven-member board, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Texas Senate. The members hold office for staggered terms, with the terms of two or three members expiring on January 31 of each odd-numbered year. Members must be registered voters and may not hold another public office. These are non-salaried positions and the Governor designates the chair.

The TDCHA was formed when the legislature merged two former agencies, the Texas Housing Agency and the Texas Department of Community Affairs.

The following is from the Handbook of Texas Online, a publication of the Texas State Historical Association:

TDHCA's Community Affairs and Economic Development Division administers the Community Development Block Grant, which the legislature transferred from the Texas Department of Commerce, as well as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance and the Emergency Nutrition/Temporary Emergency Relief programs, both originally under the Texas Department of Human Services. In 1992 the division also managed the Weatherization Assistance, the Energy Crisis and Local Government Services programs, as well as the Colonia Fund for severely distressed unincorporated areas that meet the definition of a colonia. The agency's board is appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Texas Senate. Members hold office for staggered terms. Of the nine non-salaried appointees, four of the members must have experience in housing-related industries, such as lending institutions, construction, nonprofit housing, and real estate or housing development; one member should be from local government, and another should represent low-income persons and families; and the remaining three should come from the general public. As in the two former agencies, the governor designates the agency's chair.

Sign Up for The Brief

Our daily news summary