Story Producer (New York-based)Texas Tribune/ProPublica Investigative Unit
ProPublica is hiring a story producer as part of the organization’s newly announced partnership with The Texas Tribune. This position is full time, includes benefits and will be based in ProPublica’s New York office.
This is not a typical web producer job! Story producers at ProPublica are champions for the journalism we publish, as well as for the people who read our work. Producers drive visual storytelling by commissioning and art directing photography and illustration; elevate stories by using audio, video, charts and other elements; and foster cross-team communication that helps make sure our journalism has real-world impact. When producers are doing their best work, they help build understanding, empathy and outrage in our readers.
The ProPublica-Texas Tribune partnership is part of a broader initiative to help create more local investigative journalism. You’ll be based in New York, and you’ll get to work with both of our newsrooms’ outstanding teams of story producers, photo editors, interactive developers, designers, editors and reporters.
This producer will be on the ProPublica payroll but will work with and for editors and staffers at both news organizations.
Skills we’re looking for:
- The ability to understand complex investigations and advocate for what readers would need to fully understand a story.
- Experience working with photography and illustration, with an eye toward technical execution and inclusive representation. Experience with wire photography and hiring and directing independent photographers and illustrators is a plus but not required.
- Familiarity with visual design tools like Photoshop, Sketch, etc.
- Familiarity working with a modern web-based CMS like WordPress or Craft.
- Excellent time-management skills, keen attention to detail and the ability to work with multiple parties to plan, schedule and execute projects on deadline.
- A commitment to being a great colleague and a respectful human being.
ProPublica’s story production team is unlike any other newsroom’s. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Work with editors and reporters to figure out how visual journalism or other story elements can help tell their stories in the most powerful way, across all platforms.
- Collaborate with teams across our newsrooms in New York and Texas to make sure all elements of a story — including but not limited to photos, illustrations, videos, graphics and news apps — are ready to publish.
- Commission visual journalism from independent photographers and illustrators, art-directing and editing their work.
- Look for opportunities to add thoughtful interactive elements that enhance stories.
- Format final copy for publication, including coordinating with reporters and editors to help move drafts and final copy through the editing process.
Do you have something else you can bring to this job? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us about how you see your skills amplifying what we need from this role. We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The ideal applicant cares deeply about editorial content and is a thoughtful, passionate advocate for the user. They are also organized and detail-oriented. This is not a data journalism or reporting job, but you will interact with people doing that kind of work every day.
What you should send us:
Send us a link to your portfolio. If you don’t have a portfolio, please send links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on or contributed to in some way and describe your role in detail. You don’t have to have been the lead. We want to know what worked, what might not have and how your contribution fit into the context of what was needed for the project.
ProPublica and the Tribune are dedicated to improving our newsrooms, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff; you can see the Tribune’s here.) Our newsrooms are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Fill out this form to apply. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. CST on Dec. 13. We’ll start reviewing applications right after.
Have questions? Email Hannah Birch at email@example.com. Hannah is ProPublica’s production editor. This position will report to her.