The Texas Tribune is hiring a DevOps engineer to maintain our software infrastructure and systems, strengthen our security, grow our capabilities and improve our technical processes.
In this role you will work full-time out of our downtown Austin newsroom in our six-person engineering department, managing infrastructure and supporting development for our core website and content management system, data explorers, membership services, platform integrations, and analytics products.
Our team uses modern tools and frameworks including Docker, Django, React, and Webpack. We are passionate about user experience and performance, and we care deeply about testing, modularity, and maintainability. Each member brings his or her own technical specialties, but as a smaller team we often work across the stack and value the breadth of skills we gain.
We want to hear from you if:
- You are enthusiastic about our mission and making newsroom workflows better
- You are curious and willing to learn, adapt, teach, and document
- You are detail-oriented and able to set and meet deadlines
- You are adept at clearly and effectively communicating complex ideas
You will be expected to:
- Design, maintain, and provision systems that are performant, reliable, secure, and cost-efficient, using industry best practices (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Heroku)
- Administer our databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and configure data backup and restore systems
- Automate our tests and improve our continuous integration and delivery systems (CI/CD)
- Maintain our infrastructure-as-code (Ansible, Terraform)
- Configure logging, monitoring, and alerting systems
- Research emerging technologies, plan capacities, and apply where appropriate
- Participate in bi-weekly sprints including code reviews and design discussions
You should have some knowledge/experience with a combination of:
- Bash or other shell scripting languages, especially via Linux (Ubuntu)
- Cloud providers like Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Heroku
- Container services like Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
- Monitoring, reporting, and dashboard systems (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana)
- Serverless technologies (AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Run, GitHub Actions, Cloudflare Workers, etc.)
- Email delivery and security standards (DKIM/SPF/DMARC)
- Web security threat models and prevention tactics (XSS, CSRF, DDoS, etc.)
- Content management systems (CMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) technologies
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
About The Texas Tribune:
The Texas Tribune is a nonprofit newsroom based in Austin and dedicated to engaging and informing Texans on politics and policy news. We are read by 2 million people every month and have more journalists covering state government than any newsroom in the country. In addition, our events team hosts more than 50 free conversations between the public and elected officials across the state every year. We’re a “grown-up startup,” meaning we all wear many hats, but we’re also big fans of getting enough sleep. We believe our office is a pretty great place to work, and we're proud of the job we've done helping to make Texas politics transparent and accessible to the world at large. The Texas Tribune is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply. Benefits:
- medical, vision and dental insurance
- cell phone stipend
- paid parking or commuting stipend
- 20 days of paid time off each year
- up to eight weeks of paid family leave plus four weeks of additional job protection
- 401(k) matching
- support for professional training and attending industry conferences.
How to apply:
Please submit your application here by Friday, March 13, 2020. Email Liam Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We can't wait to hear from you!