Overview: The Texas Tribune is seeking a Development Officer. This role will develop, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors for gifts of $5,000 or more. Duties also include responsibility for a comprehensive upper-level member program, Circle Membership, including acquisition, stewardship and retention. The Development Officer will work collaboratively with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief Development Officer (CDO) as well as across departments.
Qualifications: Desired qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree, five years in fundraising and:
- Proven track record of achieving financial goals and exceptional ability to manage, cultivate and grow a portfolio of donors.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and to establish effective timelines for accomplishing long-range goals while completing all tasks on a timely basis.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- An understanding of prospect research and cultivation strategies, as well as experience with fundraising database systems (knowledge of Salesforce a plus).
- Expertise in analyzing data with ability to make recommendations for acquisitions and upgrades as well as retention activities.
- Willingness and ability to travel and spend evenings and weekends at programmatic and development events as required.
- Experience in planning cultivation and fundraising events.
- Knowledge of membership programs.
- Manage acquisition, renewal and upgrade solicitations
- Develops and manages a portfolio of 150-200 donors including Circle Membership
- Raises funds through direct solicitation or by coordinating solicitation efforts of CEO and CDO.
- Develops and implements integrated and compelling mail and digital campaigns to acquire new Circle members/annual donors from external sources.
- Identifies donors for increased giving and/or major gift/planned giving potential
- Serves as a key link with the Tribune’s general membership program, working to identify, cultivate, and solicit members with capacity and inclination for a greater relationship with the Tribune.
- Works with CEO and CDO to identify and personalize solicitations for current members and prospects.
- Keeps the website current with Circle information and benefits.
- Program Management and Stewardship
- Executes timely gift entry and records prospect research to maximize use of Salesforce.
- Generates donor correspondence including acknowledgment letters and invoices.
- Develops and implements a series of targeted communications that inform Circle members and other donors of events and benefits, give advance knowledge of upcoming projects and acknowledge them for their support throughout the year keeping them informed and connected.
- Ensures the accuracy of donor listings online.
- Events and Travel
- Participates in the planning and execution of donor acquisition and stewardship events around the state including coordination with Events team.
- Serves as a key team member on annual fundraising dinner during the Texas Tribune Festival.
- Attend editorial events in Austin and around the state to engage with current and potential donors.
- Budgeting and Reporting
- In collaboration with the CDO, develops the annual revenue and expense budget.
- Develops analysis and recommendations about the Circles program performance and maintains a system of departmental reports.
- Tracks and reports on revenue and expense budget to actuals throughout the year.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Organization Background: Today The Tribune is an established leader in the field, recognized as one of the world’s most widely respected media startups — and the national gold standard for statehouse reporting.
In eight short years, the Tribune has grown from a scrappy start up to a renowned news operation, a hub for the Texas politics and policy community, and a model for nonprofit media organizations around the globe. We’ve expanded from 17 employees to nearly 70. Since 2009, the Tribune has raised more than $50 million. Our unique (and uniquely transparent) financial model — a combination of corporate sponsorships, individual donations, philanthropic grants, membership and ticketed events — has unquestionably worked. We are looking to increase of fundraising capacity to support our most fundamental ambition: providing even more exceptional journalism to further and more deeply engage Texans.
The Tribune is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
To apply, send a letter and resume to Terry Quinn, Chief Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.