The Texas Tribune has joined with ProPublica to create a joint investigative unit based in Austin to cover important accountability stories throughout the state. This project is funded by philanthropic support, and we are looking for an experienced fundraiser to join the Tribune development team.
This development officer will develop, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors contributing gifts of $5,000 or more. The development officer will work collaboratively with the chief executive officer, chief development officer and development team, as well as work across departments and coordinate with ProPublica staff.
Desired qualifications include a bachelor’s degree, five years in fundraising and:
- Proven track record of success in major gifts work and exceptional ability to manage, cultivate and grow a portfolio of donors
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and to establish effective timelines for accomplishing long-range goals
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- An understanding of prospect research and cultivation strategies, as well as experience with fundraising database systems (knowledge of Salesforce a plus)
- Willingness and ability to travel and spend evenings and weekends at programmatic and development events as required
- Experience in planning cultivation and fundraising activities
- Background or knowledge of journalism a plus
- Manage a portfolio of four- to six-figure major donors and prospects, including qualifying high-capacity donors on an ongoing basis, forging strong one-to-one relationships, and developing tailored engagement strategies for upgrading key donor and foundation prospects
- Travel frequently (once it is safe to do so) to meet with donors and prospects, documenting information gathered and conducting timely follow-up and regular relationship maintenance
- Leverage board and senior leadership to maximize development opportunities and provide high-level support to CEO and CDO by offering sound strategy, staffing calls and meetings with major donors/prospects, and performing follow-up
- Identify, engage and cultivate new major giving prospects
- Write and/or review presentations, proposals, reports, impact updates and other donor materials as needed
- Support/execute intimate cultivation or fundraising events/initiatives when necessary
- Utilize a tracking model and report on major giving activity and results
- Cultivate strong and collaborative relationships with staff/teams across the organizations and work closely with program staff to thoroughly understand and expertly articulate vision and funding priorities to donors and prospects
We know there are great candidates who won't fit everything described above, or who have important skills we haven't considered. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
This job is full-time and includes the following benefits:
- downtown office with paid parking or commuting stipend (though all employees are remote until summer 2021)
- medical, vision and dental insurance
- cell phone stipend
- 20 days of paid time off each year
- 16 weeks of paid family leave
- 401(k) matching
- support for professional training and attending industry conferences
The development officer will be on The Texas Tribune payroll and will ultimately be based at The Texas Tribune headquarters in Austin, though all employees are remote until summer 2021. The role reports to Terry Quinn, the chief development officer at the Tribune.
ProPublica and The Texas Tribune are dedicated to improving our organizations, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to cultivating diverse and inclusive workplaces, and we encourage people of all backgrounds, identities, ages and abilities to apply. To learn more about our plans to meet that commitment, read here and here.
Click here to apply. The deadline for applications is January 26.