Job Opening: Audience Engagement Director
The Texas Tribune is seeking an experienced audience engagement director — a results-oriented player-coach responsible for advancing the Tribune’s growth strategy and bringing more news consumers, event attendees and newsletters subscribers into our politics and policy ecosystem.
Our ideal candidate is informed by analytics and grounded in journalistic ethics, experience and sensibility. As a small organization filled with hands-on instigators who enjoy working across departments, our successful candidate must be a comfortable collaborator who’s able to take a hands-on approach to growing the Trib’s audience. Above all, the right candidate must be deeply passionate about the Trib’s mission.
- Set and own ambitious readership goals that advance our mission.
- Determine who our core users are via market research and analytics — and develop a growth strategy to expand that audience.
- Help our editorial products and events grow their audiences and deepen engagement across platforms.
- Advise the newsroom on real-time coverage — what’s trending and how to leverage it to reach an even wider audience.
- Expand our audience and build brand loyalty by establishing affinity partnerships around our news products.
- Help craft the outreach and social media strategy around major investigative and enterprise projects.
- Convert drive-by traffic and occasional event attendees into repeat Trib consumers — and eventually engaged users and donors.
- Inform our technology, editorial and social media teams on strategies to enhance readership and engagement.
- Use metrics and engagement trends to identify opportunities for event outreach in prospective markets.
- Ability to take feedback from a diverse set of stakeholders, synthesize those ideas and implement a responsive action plan.
- Firm grasp of good user experience and design.
- Effective project management skills and an understanding of how to facilitate rapid iteration of products.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Deep understanding of established social media channels and a passion for experimenting with new ones.
- Comfort working with and interpreting audience data, and the ability to translate metrics into audience decisions.
- Experience with online publishing, preferably with a news organization.
- Experience with A/B testing and soliciting direct user feedback is a big plus.
If you'd like to join us, please send us a cover email and resume by Mar. 2. Please e-mail your materials, or any questions about the role, to email@example.com and mention “Audience Engagement Director” in the subject line.