Dewhurst Tweet on Abortion Bill Raises Eyebrows

A tweet by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst that uses an advertisement by a reproductive rights group to praise the Senate’s approval of abortion restrictions late Tuesday evening has raised eyebrows.

“We fought to pass SB5 thru the Senate last night, & this is why! #StandWithTXChildren #txlege,” Dewhurst tweeted alongside an image produced by Planned Parenthood’s “Stand With Texas Women” campaign that states, “If SB5 passes, it would essentially ban abortion statewide.”

m/texastribune/posts/10151678420055837">+ Reply
  • June 20, 2013 @ 11:20 p.m.

Some stupid sexist on here is going to say something like "Well those sluts should just keep their legs closed!11" While not caring at all when a man goes around having sex. Women can have sex and use protection and if they accidentally get pregnant they can choose to carry the fetus to infant hood and give birth or not. Not your uterus? Not your business, if you care so much about that fetus have it transplanted into your own body to take your blood and nutrients.

• June 20, 2013 @ 11:36 p.m.

When can we force guys to give their blood and organs to their unwanted children? Or is it only okay to do that to pregnant women since Texas thinks pregnant women are incubating machines that should be forced to give birth?

• June 21, 2013 @ 5:57 a.m.

I do say I think this is sad. I guess I my position on abortions is very mixed. At one point in my medical career on two separate occasions I worked in two different abortion clinics in different places. One only provided first trimester abortions. The other did do second trimester....at which time I immediately quit for two reasons...first..once I got to see what second trimester abortion entails I thought it was awful and kinda wanted to slap a woman in the face and show her what she did...but being the medical professional I was I was taught to leave my judgements at the door...so I did when I walked out. That plus when I was a teen I gave birth to a tiny preemie 26 weeker...who is 26 today..but she WAS a welfare child for a long time and her expensive hospital bill had to be covered by Medicaid. On the other hand....especially in the one that only did first trimester...I also saw some other horrible things....such as the very young girl who had been raped by not only her father but then by her uncle also..became pregnant and was too damned scared to even tell anyone about it until it was too late..she was due in a month and probably thought that because she was so skinny she could hide it....anyway she wound up becoming a mother at the age of 13 whether she liked it or not..

• June 21, 2013 @ 6:47 a.m.

Incredibly sad the selfishness of this me, me, me society that we live in today. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Now it's all about instant gratification and putting yourself above others even if it hurts them.

• June 21, 2013 @ 6:50 a.m.

If you don't want the government to enforce a value system on people then why is it illegal to murder, abuse people, lie in court or to a police office, etc. ? You should also be against them enforcing those laws... And they do teach "real" sex ed in school. They hand out condoms now. Planned Parenthood has pretty much set up shop in a few schools out in California.

• June 21, 2013 @ 10:53 a.m.

so dewhurst is unapologetically opposed to abortion? i'm unapologetically prepared to work my level best to get him and his ilk defeated at every turn. surely there are conservatives who can do better than this.. . how are texans so asleep at the wheel that they elect such narrow-minded, mean-spirited, dreadful people to office? more to the point, why do we elect so many of them?!

Our daily news summary