- Budget guru Paul Ryan to speak at state GOP convention (The Dallas Morning News): "The Republican Party of Texas has snared Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as a main speaker at its state convention being held in Fort Worth. Ryan will address the thousands of delegates and guests on Saturday, June 9. Paul is the author of 'Path to Prosperity,' a blueprint to cut federal outlays and overhaul Social Security and health care spending."
- Former Texas gubernatorial candidate Debra Medina asks for end to property tax (Fort Worth Star-Telegram): "Debra Medina — a Republican who unsuccessfully challenged Rick Perry and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison for the Republican party's gubernatorial nomination in 2010 — on Thursday asked state lawmakers to end property tax in the Lone Star State."
New in The Texas Tribune:
- UT Regents Back Some Tuition Hikes, Commit to New Med Schools: "Tuition will go up next year for most students in the University of Texas System, after a Board of Regents vote today. Regents also committed to developing medical schools in Austin and South Texas."
- Ethics Complaints Latest Salvo in Wentworth-Jones Battle: "State Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, filed ethics complaints on Wednesday against his opponent, former railroad commissioner Elizabeth Ames Jones, and her husband, Will Jones."
- Texas A&M University Unveils New Accountability Website: "This week, Texas A&M University is making significant amounts of data easily available to the public on a new 'accountability' website, allowing people to dig into issues such as graduation rates, research expenditures and more."
Texas Tribune donors or members may be quoted or mentioned in our stories, or may be the subject of them. For a complete list of contributors, click here.